You know how there are those few times during the year when everyone around you seems to be getting sick? Well, I am going through one of those times right now and I am proud to say that I still have not fallen sick. I have been taking preventative measures to ensure I remain cold/flu-free. In addition to taking oil of oregano daily while so many are sick around me, getting an adequate amount of sleep every night, and always staying hydrated, I have been having my “ManGO-Away-Cold-and-Flu” salad for dinner quite often lately. This high-in-vitamin-C and antioxidant-rich salad helps keep sickness away and is so yummy! I make this salad so often that I have never measured any of the ingredients. However, while making this salad for dinner last night, I measured the ingredients so that I could share the recipe with you all today! Enjoy!
- 1 medium (red, white, or yellow) onion, diced
- 2-3 small zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1-2 pinches garam masala powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- leaves from 1 head of green kale, roughly chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- In a medium frying pan over medium to high heat, sauté the diced onion in coconut oil until translucent.
- Add the diced zucchini and spices (cumin powder, fine sea salt, chili powder, garam masala powder, and turmeric powder). Sauté everything until all the water that comes out from the zucchini evaporates.
- Place the chopped kale leaves in a large bowl and add the sautéed zucchini and onion mixture on top.
- Top off the salad with the diced mango and chopped scallion.
- Mix everything together. Allow the flavours to mix and mingle for 5 minutes and then enjoy!